Saturday 30 April 2011

Birthday Day

Yay, my birthday, and the day we leave Agia Napa for Kalavassos. After
breakfast (and our hotel, the Napa Mermaid, does the best of any hotel
I've been to) we headed to Konnos bay, the little bay on Cape Greko
that we "discovered" yesterday.

It really is a little paradise and quickly became one of my favourite
places anywhere. It's so picturesque and the water there is about the
clearest I've ever seen, almost like bath water. An unusual feature is
the beach chairs that double up as canoes - at least they do if you
weight less than I do, wife had much more success.

The cafe too is sympathetially built, blending in to its surroundings
and offering stunning views across the bay. We had lunch there before
we left, the usual halloumi pitta for me and, unusually, apple pie for
wife! I almost cried when it was time to leave, this really was my
paradise. I could have gone there every day for a fortnight.

So 3 nights in Napa over, and we never got to do do many things we
would like to, because there were so many other things that we did do.
That leaves us plenty to do when we come back, and we will come back
for longer next time. There's enough going on around Napa to keep us
entertained for a good long while.

Kalavassos is rather different... A quiet hill village it's cooler for
a start and a whole lot quieter. It does at least posess some tavernas
and kafenions so scores over the mountain village we stayed at last
time around where eating in was the only option (except we had no
cooking facilities) or else drive to somewhere else on the narrow,
twisting, switchback mountain roads in the pitch dark. We've yet to
choose a place for dinner tonight, but one of the two places right
next door (literally) to where we're staying is looking favourite. No
open shop means no milk means black coffee and dry cornflakes for
breakfast though!

Sent from my iPod.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like you're having a great time - I'm enjoying reading all about it.