Tuesday 26 April 2011

Cypriot Driving

I've not driven or been driven in every country in Europe, though it
has been quite a few, but from my 3 experiences of driving in Cyprus I
can state categorically that these are the worst drivers I've seen.
I'll list everything in detail when I have a few hours to spare, but
for now I'll just mention the new favourite.

There are 2 things Cypriots do habitually.
1) Run red lights if they go red when you're closer than 20 seconds of
travel away.
2) Creep forward at red lights to the point that you're actually half
way across the junction with the lights still on red.

Put these 2 together and it's a real recipe for disaster and I'm quite
surprised we haven't actually seen any accidents (though we did see a
cyclist knocked off his bike by a car running a red light at a pelican
crossing).

This creeping forward at red lights seems a relatively new phenomena,
I've not noticed it other years. Perhaps it's just other drivers
reaction to having the Impreza next to them or behind them at the
lights- they feel challenged.

Other crazy manoevers have included overtaking me on a narrow village
road by mounting the pavement and making pedestrians jump into shop
doorways to avoid being killed; driving with a dog on your knee; and
almost running me down on a pelican because they were looking sideways
instead of straight ahead and didn't even know there was a crossing
ahead.

I see more dangerous incidents each day than I see in a year at home.

Sent from my iPod.

No comments: